Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kubuntu on SPARC II

Well, I got Ubuntu installed on my Ultra 5! I had some confusion at first about why I didn't have a desktop environment, as I had selected the "SPARC-Desktop" download ISO. Of course, after some head scratching, I realized that whether you choose "Desktop" or "Server" for SPARC, you get the server ISO (I couldn't find a SPARC desktop ISO). So, this gave me a choice... Gnome (standard Ubuntu) or KDE (Kubuntu)? I've used both in the past and somewhat preferred KDE. So, I ran sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, worked on something else for an hour, and viola! Desktop Linux on my old Sun. Woot!

No comments:

High Quality VHS Capture on a Budget in 2020 - Part I: Choosing a VCR

Introduction I recently inherited a few dozen family videos on VHS and VHS-C going back to the early 1980's. Along with this haul came a...