Friday, February 10, 2006

"21" Came and Went all too Quickly

Well, hello! First and foremost, TGIF. I've got a lot to do this weekend - but that's okay! I am going to feel a lot better when I can scrub a few things off my to-do list. Plus, I will be celebrating my 22nd birthday on Sunday. I'm going to have a little party with my family and maybe go out to dinner with some friends from Case. (Want to come?)

In one of the projects I'm working on, I'm almost to the point of testing something we've been talking about for a long time. It's pretty exciting, and I may even be able to publish something this semester *crosses fingers*! However, it's frustrating that I can't just "get it done" due to all the other things I have going on, most notably my classes. I think I took a step in the right direction though - I mentioned in my previous posting that I was considering not going to Japanese 301 anymore. I thought it might come to this from the start, so was just sitting in on the course all along. Well, I decided to drop it. It was a tough decision to come to, but the 10-15 hours a week it freed up are invaluable to my research (and my sanity) right now.

After this semester, my schedule is definitely looking up. First of all, I'm graduating in May, so I won't have to worry about undergraduate requirements anymore. Secondly, I will have 8 credits of thesis and 12 credits of grad-level coursework (4 courses) by the end of this semester. That means that I'll only have to take two more grad courses plus 1 credit of thesis per semester to graduate with my MS degree. That leaves a lot of time open for getting research taken care of! It will certainly be nice.

We're having our SIGMAC meeting on Wednesday at the Apple Store in Legacy Village. We've done this once before and it was a great success last time. Hopefully it will be fun again! The folks at the Store are going to demo some of the new Apple applications like PhotoBooth and FrontRow, and maybe Aperture if we ask nicely.

The EECS Graduate Student Town Hall meeting was today. I heard some encouraging words from Dr. Tien, our new Department Chair and Fearless Leader. He's very excited about the future of the Department, and that's pretty refreshing. He is planning to expand the department from about 35 faculty to 50. Also, he pledged financial support for an EECS grad student organization. I think that's just spiffy - and I'm going to try to get involved. I'm already on the ECE Curriculum Committee - and doing this stuff will be even more fun!

Kara is coming to town to visit next weekend, and I can't wait! Our two year dating anniversary is this month (can you believe it?). We're going out to dinner on Saturday night with my aunt and uncle - where should we go? I've never been to the Barking Spider, and I hear that's a pretty cool place. Or maybe I should just take Kara there and go out to dinner elsewhere. Any experiences or suggestions? I have a few places in mind, but what are your favorite places to go around Cleveland? Post in the comments, por favor.

No comments:

High Quality VHS Capture on a Budget in 2020 - Part I: Choosing a VCR

Introduction I recently inherited a few dozen family videos on VHS and VHS-C going back to the early 1980's. Along with this haul came a...